Featured Alive ads will now come with a coupon for a cash discount. Our wholesale customers can give the discount to their customers at the retail level through the coupon (the cash discount is roughly equivalent to the up front percentage discount we provided before). At the end of the month, submit the $3 coupons you have collected throughout the months of August/September, and Life Choice will issue a credit for that dollar amount toward your next order.
If you would like to promote in your store, Head Office can also send however many coupons you request.
Life Choice™ products were designed to target the same health conditions that allopathic medicine does. However, as a natural alternative to conventional medicine, Life Choice™ products treat the cause of disease and help balance the body, allowing it to heal itself and remain stable, whereas allopathic medicine tends only to mask symptoms. In addition, natural medicine does not cause the dependency and unpleasant side effects that patients can experience with allopathic medicine.
High quality never costs, but pays! You get what you pay for.
All our raw materials are purchased based on the purest possible pharmaceutical grade, manufactured either in Japan, USA, or Europe. Hormonal products are vegetarian, with the exception of our raw tissue gland formulations. All amino acids are free form, and purity must be 99.9% or higher. We encapsulate our formulas in vegetarian capsules and not the cheaper animal gelatin form, because the quality of every component is paramount.
We strive to maintain a consistent high quality in all our formulations and to do so we stick with proven raw material suppliers. We never purchase our ingredients based on price, but rather on purity. A simple example is found in our Melatonin, we use only 100% DMF (drug master file) patented pharmaceutical grade raw material; we pay 700% more for our raw material than can be purchased without a patent. Why? The reasons are two-fold: first, the material is clinically researched, and secondly, the quality is consistently high with each order. Small batch manufacturing and the selection of raw materials create the difference that your body will notice.
In a previous newsletter, we highlighted a recent Life Choice blog post discussing how, for baby boomers approaching retirement, future health concerns have eclipsed even their financial concerns. Perhaps an even deeper question is: how can boomers be confident that supplements could save their failing health? What is the difference among 20 different brands of Calcium? What are some clues as to which ones are most and least effective?
Our friends at PreventDisease have compiled a comprehensive list of 22 red flags to be on the lookout for, not only in supplements, but also in foods and cosmetics:
1. No Artificial Binders (supplements): Binders are used to hold ingredients together, but they also give weight and allow small active ingredients to be combined to make capsules or tablets appear much larger with a small fraction of formulated ingredients. Binders are typically a sugar derivative and include: lactose, sucrose, malitol (hydrogenation of maltose from starch), sorbitol (usually made from corn syrup), etc. Cellulose is a natural binder indigestible to humans and it enters and leaves the digestive tract unchanged and is chemically inert. This is one of the few acceptable binders in supplements.
2. No Artificial Colors (food or supplements): Most food colorings on the market are linked with cancer and ADHD in children. Blue 1 and 2, found in beverages, candy, baked goods and pet food, have been linked to cancer in mice. Red 3, used to dye cherries, fruit cocktail, candy, and baked goods, has been shown to cause thyroid tumors in rats. Green 3, added to candy and beverages, has been linked to bladder cancer. The widely used yellow 6, added to beverages, sausage, gelatin, baked goods, and candy, has been linked to tumors of the adrenal gland and kidney.
3. No Artificial Emulsifiers (food): An emulsifier replaces surface proteins and aids in forming the network in specific food recipes. There are no healthy non-organic emulsifiers. They are all toxic causing everything from infertility, digestive disorders and migraines. Examples include polysorbate 80, Mono-diglycerides, carrageenan, xanthan gum (non-organic), guar gum, soy lecithin or soya lecithin.
4. No Artificial Flavors (food or supplements): Artificial flavoring substances not identified as a natural product intended for human consumption, whether or not the product is processed. These are typically produced in a lab by fractional distillation and additional chemical manipulation of naturally sourced chemicals, crude oil or coal tar. Dr. Ben Feingold, an allergist proposed 30 years ago that artificial flavours, colors and salicylates can be the cause of hyperactivity in children. A diet free of artificial colors, flavours and salicylates reduced hyperactivity symptoms and behavioural disturbances in 30 to 50% of children. Although they are chemically different, in sensory characteristics are the same as natural ones, but with no nutritional value. Every single artificial flavor in the food industry has some kind of detrimental health effect. These include neurotoxicity, organ, developmental, reproductive toxicity and cancer. Examples include glutamates, monosodium Glutamate (MSG), maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate
5. No Artificial Sweeteners (food or supplements): Any sugar substitutes that are synthetic are labeled as an artificial sweetener. An important class of sugar substitutes are known as high-intensity sweeteners. Sweeteners such as Neotame are thousands of times sweeter than sugar. They are all very potent, neurotoxic, immunotoxic and excitotoxic. Examples include aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, neotame, sucralose, sodium cyclamate, acesulfame-K.
6. No Artificial Preservatives (food): Artificial preservatives are responsible for causing a host of health problems pertaining to respiratory tract, heart, blood and other. Some are extremely neurotoxic. Common preservatives include nitrites (i.e. Sodium Nitrite), nitrates (i.e. Sodium Nitrate), butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), sulfites (i.e. Sodium Sulfite), potassium Sorbate, benzoic acid, propyl gallate.
7. No Adulterants (food): Food fraud and economically motivated food adulteration is highlighted by some very toxic substances which cause cancer, glaucoma, digestive and liver disorders. These are added to foods to increase their color, volume or weight. Examples include metanil yellow, potassium bromate, malachite Green, tamarind seeds, washing powder, argemone seeds.
8. No Animal by-products or Gelatin (food or supplements): Animal by-product gelatin agents are commonly used in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. They are made from by-products of the meat industry (i.e. pork skins, pork, horses, and cattle bones, or split cattle hides). Some gelatins are incorporated into meats making them other proteins stick together like super glue. In the supplement industry, look for brands that are animal gelatin-free.
9. No Chinese raw materials (food or supplements): This is a relatively new exclusion that you will see more of in the near future. It's already popping up in hundreds of natural and organic food labels. The USDA and FDA are only inspecting 1%-2% of all the food that enters U.S. ports. Food and Water Watch produced a Chinese Imports Backgrounder in 2009 assessing the extent of lax inspections and breadth of scandals surrounding food imports from China that have been linked to human illnesses from eating the unsafe food. If your food or supplements are coming from China, long-term health risks are inevitable.
10. No Dairy (supplements): People will always have a choice to consume dairy in food but in the supplements most don't realize that many supplement ingredients are derived from dairy sources. If you have issues with dairy including allergens, look for supplement lines which are dairy free.
11. No Fillers (supplements): Fillers are added bulk to products making very small active components appear larger in tablet or capsule form. Examples include: lactose, sucrose, magnesium stearate (via hydrogenated palm oil), calcium carbonate etc. The key to a good supplement is to have active ingredients fill the capsule, not fillers.
12. No Fragrance (cosmetics): Fragrances found in products are made with dozens of different chemicals. Nearly 4000 volatile compounds are known to be included in fragrances. A lot of them are cancer causing and toxic. They can have an adverse effect on the human central nervous system. They have also been known to cause depression, irritability and in some people hyperactivity. Avoid any product containing fragrance.
13. No Gluten (food or supplements): Mayo Clinic researchers uncovered a link between celiac disease and dementia or other forms of cognitive decline. There are as many health risks associated with the consumption of wheat and millions are now avoiding wheat and gluten because of the health consequence. More than 2 million people in the United States are on a gluten-free diet even though they haven’t been diagnosed with celiac disease. An intolerance to gluten can cause a wide array of symptoms, some debilitating.
14. No GMO (food or supplements): If we can't beat Monsanto through food labeling, we'll beat them through exclusions. You definitely want to see this on any food or supplement bottle. But be careful and investigate your source and some companies are claiming their products are Non-GMO even though they're not. Ingredients to watch out for are soy lecithin, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, soy proteins, soy flour, soy lecithin, soy isolates, isoflavone, or corn-based ingredients including corn flour, meal, oil, starch, gluten, and syrup, or corn sweeteners such as fructose, dextrose, and glucose, modified food starch. Most vegetable oils and vegetable proteins are GMO. Also stay away from canola oil (also called rapeseed oil), cottonseed oil, anything not listed as 100% cane sugar.
15. No Irradiation (food or supplements): Science has been unable to establish the long-term safety of food irradiation and the lasting health effects if any. Yet, almost every food category can now be legally irradiated by government regulators at the expense of our health. Irradiated foods are exposed to high level radiation for the purpose of sterilizing it. Report Exposes Irradiated Food Lists and Their Dangers
16. No Lactose (food or supplements): Lactose intolerant individuals have insufficient levels of lactase, an enzyme that catalyzes hydrolysis of lactose into glucose. Some studies have produced evidence that milk consumption by lactose intolerant individuals may be a significant cause of inflammatory bowel disease. Diagnoses and some statistics are now showing that many people are intolerant to lactose even though they do not have any kind of diagnosed primary or secondary lactase deficiency. Some people can handle lactose without a problem but if your even slightly intolerant, make sure there is no lactose in your food or supplements.
17. No Lubricants (supplements): They prevent the clumping of active ingredients and prevent the sticking of materials to machines in the manufacturing plant. Examples include: silica, talc, stearic acid, magnesium stearate etc. Many of these lubricants (depending on how they are manufactured) have been shown to suppress immune function. The absorbability of products is also questionable when some lubricants have been added to a formula. Most lubricants have no place inside a supplement so investigate your ingredients before purchasing.
18. No Nano (cosmetics, food and supplements):This is another new exclusion now finding its way to product labels and consumers are becoming aware of the dangers of nanotechnology. Nanoparticles in the gastrointestinal tract have been linked to Crohn's disease and colon cancer. Nanoparticles that enter the circulatory system are implicated in arteriosclerosis, blood clots, arrhythmia, heart diseases, and ultimately death from heart disease. Should these particles enter other organs, such as liver, spleen, etc., they may lead to diseases of these organs.
19. No Soy (cosmetics, food and supplements): Soy can no longer be trusted in the food supply regardless if labeled organic or not. Not only is over 90 percent of the world's soy genetically modified, but most of the soy in our food is unfermented making it even more toxic for the body to process and utilize as energy. If you were to carefully review the thousands of studies published on soy, you would likely reach the same conclusions--the risks of consuming unfermented soy products FAR outweigh any possible benefits. The propaganda that has created the soy sales miracle is all the more remarkable because, only a few decades ago, the soybean was considered unfit to eat - even in Asia. Non-organic sources of soy in many agricultural practices are being passed off as organic. In 2011, the USDA uncovered a plot to import fraudulent organic certificates produced by an uncertified supplier in China. The Chinese firm used the counterfeit certificate to represent non-organic crops, including soybeans, millet and buckwheat, as certified organic. Any ingredient listed as soybean or soy on any product ingredient list has a 93% chance of being GMO.
20. No Parabens (cosmetics and supplements): Parabens are a group of widely used preservative and anti-microbial agents in personal care products and supplements. Parabens can cause hormone disruptions and they have been found in high concentrations in breast cancer tumours. Parabens can be found in supplements and everyday toiletry products including moisturizers, make-up, shaving foam, tanning lotions and toothpaste. They can appear as methylparabens, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben. Choose supplements that avoid this potentially harmful substance.
21. No Pasteurization (food): Pasteurization destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. By law many beverages and nuts are now required to be pasteurized so your job is to find those that are not from reputable organic sources.
22. No Pesticides or Herbicides (food): Some food products list this, but unless they are organic, please investigate and contact the manufacturer to confirm. It's almost impossible to avoid pesticides and herbicides in our food supply, but if you can, please do. As acknowledged by the U.S. and international government agencies, different pesticides have been linked with a variety of toxic effects, including: nervous system effects, carcinogenic effects, hormone system effects, skin, eye and lung irritation. Pesticides are unique among the chemicals we release into the environment; they have inherent toxicity because they are designed to kill living organisms, insects, plants, and fungi that are considered "pests." Because they are toxic by design, many pesticides pose health risks to people, risks that have been acknowledged by independent research scientists and physicians across the world. One more reason to try and buy organic, but don't go crazy trying to avoid pesticides and herbicides because I can guarantee they are impossible to eliminate in our society as they contribute to air pollution. If you grow your own foods you will dramatically reduce your exposure.
Marco Torres is a research specialist, writer and consumer advocate for healthy lifestyles. He holds degrees in Public Health and Environmental Science and is a professional speaker on topics such as disease prevention, environmental toxins and health policy.